Overview: Half Moon Cay, also known as Little San Salvador Island, is a private island paradise in the Bahamas that serves as a port of call for several cruise lines. Owned by Carnival Cruise Line, it is a haven for beach lovers and nature enthusiasts and is also visited by Holland America Cruise line.
How to Get There: Ships typically anchor offshore at Half Moon Cay, and passengers are tendered ashore. Tender boats transfer guests between the cruise ship and the island's dock, offering scenic views along the way.
What to Do While Here:
- Beach Relaxation: Half Moon Cay is renowned for its stunning, unspoiled beaches with soft, powdery sand. Spend your day sunbathing, swimming, or strolling along the shoreline.
- Watersports: Enjoy various water activities, including snorkeling, paddle-boarding, and kayaking. Equipment rentals are available.
- Horseback Riding: Experience a unique horseback ride along the beach and through the island's picturesque scenery.
- Stingray Adventure: Get up close and personal with gentle stingrays through a guided encounter.
- Private Cabanas: For a more luxurious experience, rent a private cabana on the beach, complete with dedicated service and amenities.
Kid Zone: Half Moon Cay offers a supervised kids' program known as Club HAL. Children can participate in organized activities, games, and beachside fun, allowing parents to enjoy some relaxation.
Drink Package: While onboard drink packages typically don't apply to private islands like Half Moon Cay, you can use your cruise card or a cash account to purchase drinks at the island's bars.
Local Cuisine: The island typically provides a buffet-style beach barbecue for cruisers, featuring a variety of grilled items such as burgers, hot dogs, chicken, salads, and tropical fruits. It's a convenient and casual way to enjoy a meal while on the island.
Shopping: Half Moon Cay has a few shops offering souvenirs, beachwear, and local crafts. Most transactions can be made with your cruise card, but it's advisable to have some cash or a credit card on hand for additional purchases.
Insider Tip: Consider renting a private cabana in advance if you desire a more exclusive and shaded area on the beach. These cabanas are highly sought after and can enhance your island experience. Additionally, bring sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun. Don't forget to explore the island's natural beauty, including the picturesque lagoon and wildlife such as iguanas and colorful tropical birds.
Are you ready to book your next vacation? Book with CruisesOnly for great fares and valuable benefits! You get more when you book with us instead of booking directly with the cruise line. We give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all qualifying cruise line offers, plus all of the cruise line loyalty program benefits.