Great news! American Cruise ships are currently sailing! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
Do I need a vaccine to travel on an American Cruise?
American Cruise Lines does not have an across-the-board vaccine requirement for passengers. But passengers on some itineraries in specific regions or over specific time periods may face COVID-19 testing or vaccination requirements. The line says it will communicate directly with passengers about them.
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
Things to know:
- Guests must take a PCR or molecular COVID-19 test within 4 days of the start of their cruise package and submit their test result to American Cruise Lines at email@example.com and present the result at the time of boarding.
- Guests will submit a basic pre-travel health questionnaire regarding their recent travel history, general wellness, and whether or not they have been vaccinated.
- On arrival to the ship (or pre-cruise hotel, if applicable) guests will meet with the ship’s certified Medical Officer who will review the test results and will conduct a brief health evaluation.
- An additional COVID-19 test will be required, utilizing the shipboard medical facility, if the Medical Officer determines it is necessary.
- Guests are strongly encouraged to get a COVID-19 vaccine prior to travel.
- Guests with a vaccine must comply with all the requirements of the American Cruise Lines Operating Protocol, including for testing and mask-wearing.
Please note that these guidelines are subject to change.
Do I need to wear a mask?
Masks are to be worn during the cruise in compliance with the Executive Order on Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel.
Things to know:
- All guests should carefully review pre-booking and pre-travel health advice on our website and the website of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Can I get off the ship at port?
American Cruise Lines has always taken great care to provide a carefully planned, personalized experience ashore. With small ship capacities, and even small excursion groups, shore excursions will be able to continue in an enjoyable manner.
Things to know:
- Every shore excursion venue has been screened for social distancing capability and sanitation practices. In most cases, only minor edits to planned excursions were needed ensure that social distancing could be maintained.
- While always small, shore excursions will be conducted in even smaller groups to enable social distancing. The exact group size is determined by the ability of each venue to ensure distancing practices and safe exploration.
- Each group will have private transportation directly to and from each venue. Coaches will operate at reduced capacity and will be sanitized before every boarding
These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice, so we encourage guests to come prepared for potential mask requirements ashore.
Health & Safety on the Ship
American Cruise Lines has partnered with Vikand Solutions to provide a shipboard certified Medical Officer on each ship and various medical services, including COVID-19 testing. Vikand is a leading global provider of medical services to the maritime industry. In addition to providing services onboard, Vikand has worked with us and each port of call to reduce risk and ensure capable care in any situation.
Things to know:
- Each ship has a completely independent HVAC system with no shared ducting between rooms or public spaces. By isolating HVAC equipment, we can greatly reduce the risk of spreading germs through multiple spaces on the ship.
- We have taken care to enhance cleanliness and reduce the number of required touchpoints aboard each ship. This includes the implementation of a touch-free boarding and check-in process. The vessel will be completely cleaned between cruises with additional sanitation rounds conducted hourly.
- A dedicated space will be provided on each ship for a medical consulting and will be equipped with a Quidel Sofia 2 COVID-19 testing machine. In addition, an allotment of staterooms aboard each ship will be kept sanitized and unoccupied unless they become necessary for isolation purposes.
- PPE will available to guests and crew at all times. This includes sanitizer and facemasks.