Great news! AmaWaterways ships is back in the water! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
Do I need a vaccine to travel on a AmaWaterways Cruise?
AmaWaterways Vaccination Requirement: Effective immediately and until further notice, AmaWaterways will only be welcoming guests fully vaccinated against Covid-19 on board our ships.
- This vaccination requirement also applies to accompanied minors.
- If this decision impacts your 2021 sailing, please contact your travel advisor for options to reschedule your river cruise.
- Guests are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving their second dose of Pfizer, Moderna, or AstraZeneca (Covishield) or 28 days following a single dose of Johnson & Johnson (based on EMA guidelines*).
- Mixed dosages of these four vaccines are accepted.
- We recommend guests carry their original CDC vaccination card (or equivalent) as well as a digital version.
Entry regulations affecting US travelers. These changes are only “recommendations” to the EU member countries which they can choose to accept, reject or modify. We are following the situation very closely and it is business as usual unless we receive official information about any changes from the individual countries we sail through. Currently, Belgium and the Netherlands have added additional requirements for US travelers and we are modifying our itineraries in September to accommodate this. Please check the travel requirements for each country.
As entry requirements can change rapidly, we strongly recommend guests take a PCR test prior to departing on your flight to Europe to avoid any unnecessary travel interruptions and for added peace of mind. The valid time frame of the PCR test may vary between 48 and 72 hours so please refer to the entry regulations of your destination or airline.
All guests must consult the appropriate consulates regarding travel entry requirements. Obtaining required travel documentation and assuring these are complete and correct in all ways, is the sole responsibility of each participant.
What COVID-19 Vaccine is accepted?
Guests are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving their second dose of Pfizer, Moderna, or AstraZeneca (Covishield) or 28 days following a single dose of Johnson & Johnson (based on EMA guidelines*).
- Mixed dosages of these four vaccines are accepted.
Pre-Cruise, Online Check-in, and Electronic Travel Documents
IMPORTANT: Boarding will be denied without completing your Online Cruise Check-In in its entirety, including your Health and Contact Tracing Questionnaire, prior to departure from home.
- Once your reservation has been confirmed, log into your Online Cruise Check-In with your reservation number, last name, and date of birth.
- Enter your personal details, including emergency contact and most importantly your current email address in order to receive essential notification about your trip.
- Independent flight information should be entered once confirmed, or within 45-30 days prior to departure.
- You will be required to fill out AmaWaterways’ Health and Contact Tracing Questionnaire 7 days before your journey begins and this information will be revalidated upon embarkation. A link to this form will be in your pre-cruise check-in documents. You will also be required to upload a copy of your Covid-19 vaccination card. To learn how to upload your vaccination card, watch our tutorial video or view our step-by-step guide.
- Please note: Within your Online Cruise Check-In, you may download a printed copy of your Travel Documents within 30 days prior to departure.
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
Additional forms may be required by each country (or airline) and these may affect travelers depending on your country of residence. Please note: We are only providing information that pertains to vaccinated travelers entering these countries, as all AmaWaterways guests must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to board our ships.
Do I need to wear a mask?
At this time, all guests are required to wear face coverings when moving through interior spaces on the ship and while using public transportation on shore, including on our motorcoaches.
Things to know:
- We strongly recommend packing medical grade and/or N95/KN95 masks, as certain countries and sites we visit require their use.
- For your convenience, our onboard gift shops fleetwide will offer a limited supply of medical grade masks at a cost of two euros per pack of five; and N95/KN95 masks at a cost of two euros per individual mask.
- These masks are also widely available in local shops throughout Europe.
Can I get off the ship at port?
Shore excursions will be conducted in small groups. Guests must use hand sanitizers when getting on and off our coaches that are thoroughly cleaned each morning. In addition, masks will be required for all guests when using public transportation on shore, including our motorcoaches. Masking requirements vary by country and sites visited; please be prepared to bring your medical grade mask with you on all excursions. Some countries may require N95/K95 masks.
Things to know:
- AmaWaterways provides a complimentary personal Quietvox commentary system for every guest to use throughout your journey.
- Powered by a sustainable rechargeable battery within your own stateroom, your portable Quietvox system allows you to hear your guide during excursions while permitting comfortable social distancing.
- A brand-new set of headphones that plugs into the Quietvox will be provided to you at the beginning of your sailing; you may also bring and use your own personal set of plug-in headphones.
- In the event that ships are docked side by side, guests will be required to pass over Sun Decks.
- Our exterior handrails will also be sanitized on a high-frequency basis.
Health & Safety on the Ship
Ships and terminals will undergo a thorough sanitization between sailings and guests will be encouraged to use the hand-washing sinks and hand sanitizer dispensers at venue entrances and in high-traffic areas throughout the ship. Guests will also be asked to follow health information about the ways to stay healthy on board and when ashore.
The crew will serve you at your table and will be happy to offer you a similar choice of menu items formerly available at our buffets.
Things to know:
- Prior to boarding, an online health and contact screening questionnaire will be required.
- At embarkation, guests’ temperatures will be taken with no-contact infrared thermometers. If, for any reason, further testing is required, shoreside medical treatment centers are within close proximity.
- We will have ample hand sanitizers available throughout the ship and their frequent use is required by all guests and crew.
- Our crew has implemented enhanced cleaning and disinfecting measures throughout the ship.
- Special attention will be paid to areas like staircases, public washrooms, armrests in the lounge and guardrails.
- We use hospital-grade disinfectants for continual surface cleaning in public areas.
- Additional deep cleaning will take place throughout the entire ship between each sailing.
- Your designated stateroom steward will clean your stateroom twice daily.
- Bicycles, fitness mats and equipment will be thoroughly sanitized after each use. Use of the Fitness Room is by appointment with cleaning time between use.
- We use state-of-the-art fan coil air conditioning units; there is no recirculating of air on board our ships.
- Each stateroom has its own sophisticated heating/cooling system – a fan coil unit located in the ceiling inside the stateroom above the entry area.
- The main public areas – lounge and restaurants – have their own high-quality air-fog system to continuously ensure clean air.
- On our European ships, there are no air conditioning systems blowing cold air that would circulate throughout the entire ship as you would find in standard air conditioning units.
- Throughout Europe and Asia, we provide a variety of onboard wellness activities led by professionally trained Wellness Hosts. Whenever weather permits, these small-group classes will be held on our spacious open-air Sun Decks.
Check here for the most up to date information on each Cruise Destination, including vaccination requirements, mask mandates, shore excursions, and insurance requirements.