You get more when you book with CruisesOnly instead of booking directly with the cruise line. We give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all qualifying Norwegian Cruise Line offers, plus all of the Latitudes Rewards benefits. Book your next Norwegian cruise today! Call us at 800-278-4737 if you need help finding the perfect cruise.
Great news! Norwegian Cruise Lines is back in the water in the US! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
Need to know Information
Pre-cruise boarding checklist:
- Complete online check-in for each guest and reserve arrival time, register each guest to get COVID-19 testing on embarkation day. (You will lose the opportunity to Check-in online 3 days prior to sailing).
- Proof of Vaccine - indicating the guests 5 and over have completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sail date
- Negative COVID-19 test
- Masks are recommended but optional for guests
- Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after your cruise, is recommended
- No passport? Bring a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate + a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government for age 16 and older
- If the name doesn't match, bridging documents are required, like a Marriage Certificate
Norwegian Health & Safety FAQs
Do I need to take a COVID-19 test prior to arrival at the terminal?
Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022: At the time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT (i.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party of via medically supervised home test within two days prior to embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. port and within three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port.
Guests under 12 (unvaccinated):
- Provide a negative PCR test, administered by a verified third party, that was taken within 72 hours (3 days) before arriving at the pier for sailings departing from a U.S. port. If not tested using a PCR test they will be denied boarding.
- In addition to the aforementioned PCR test, all unvaccinated guests under the age of 12 sailing from, or to, a U.S. port will be required to take additional tests at the pier, at embarkation and disembarkation, as part of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Voluntary COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters. Norwegian Cruise Line will facilitate and cover all costs associated with embarkation and disembarkation testing at the pier for non-vaccinated guests under the age of 12.
Guests under 12 (Vaccinated):
- Provide proof of vaccination
- Provide a negative antigen or PCR test administered by a verified third party
- From US ports: The test must be taken within two (2) days prior to sailing
- From non-U.S. ports: The test must be taken within three (3) days before sailing
If they did not test before arriving, they can test at the pier at their own cost.
How can I take my Covid 19 Test prior to travel?
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test.
- BioReference's Scarlet Service - $85 Per test: BioReference sends a trained Health Professional to your home or work to collect your COVID-19 test specimen and deliver the specimen to the lab.
- Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 at home test - $150 per 6 pack - The at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services.
- Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with Inspire Diagnostics- Antigen $40 | PCR $95 - Hassle-free, pre-cruise at home supervised testing for Norwegian guests.
- Locate a Covid-19 Testing Provider Prior to Your Cruise:an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world.
What Vaccines will be accepted?
Any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol ≥2 weeks after receipt of the final dose.
- Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford(Vaxzevria & CoviShield), etc.
- Note: Individuals receiving a Janssen COVID-19 vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the single dose of the Janssen vaccine.
- Current Unauthorized Vaccines: Sputnik V, COVAXIN, Inactivated SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero-Cell), Novavax, Covovax.
- Vaccines received via clinical trials will not be accepted as they do not specify vaccine received.
To be fully vaccinated means to complete the full brand vaccination protocol of one brand of vaccine OR two doses of a mixed vaccination combination, and therefore a single shot of AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Sinopharm or Sinovac after COVID-19 recovery is NOT considered being fully vaccinated.
Booster Vaccination requirements for voyages embarking, disembarking, and sailing in Europe only:
In addition to above, EU Healthy Gateways currently defines individuals as “Fully Vaccinated” against COVID-19 if they carry proof of vaccination with at least 14 days and no more than 270 days passed since the last dose of the primary vaccination series or if they have received a third or booster dose. To clarify, guests that have received a booster dose can travel regardless of the amount of time that has passed since their booster dose.
- Please note that any guest whose primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of disembarkation from their voyage MUST HAVE a COVID-19 “booster” prior to embarkation.
What documents will be required to show proof of vaccination?
Guest must acknowledge vaccination status prior to their sailing (check-in) and bring proof of vaccination to the terminal for their cruise.
Preferred proof form is the original vaccination record document issued by either the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination or the guest's medical provider that completed the vaccine administration, however, a photo of the vaccination record document will also be accepted.
- Electronic vaccination records will be accepted for residents of countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form.
- Confirmation email of vaccination appointment will not be accepted.
- Communication regarding proof of vaccination submission will be sent to all booked guests in the 30 days prior to setting sail.
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
Are masks required onboard?
For sailings originating from a U.S. port:
- Norwegian cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of crew and guests age 12 and over, therefore face coverings are not required while onboard. However, the added protection provided when wearing a mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom.
- Mask coverings are also recommended outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained.
- The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest.
For sailings originating from a European port:
- Local government regulations requires all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. Guests will be required to wear masks outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
- Face masks that have two or more layers that completely cover your nose and mouth and fit snugly on your face are permitted.
- Face masks should block light when held up to bright light source.
- Masks with exhalation valves or vents; single layer or masks made of thin fabric that don't block light (i.e. neck gaiters) are not permitted.
Can I explore on my own while in port?
As delivering the best experience for our guests is always a top priority, after working closely with destination partners, we anticipate that guests will be free to explore certain ports of call on their own. Please keep in mind that this is largely dependent on the local health authorities and the evolving regulations, which are subject to change.
In order to keep our guests as safe as possible, we highly recommend taking Norwegian's organized shore excursions as a more controlled environment for you to enjoy your time in each of the destinations.
These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice, so we encourage guests to come prepared for potential mask requirements ashore.
Sailings Through Canada:
- The Canadian government requires all guests to complete ArriveCAN, found here, submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day.
- All guests are required to have all the necessary documentation including proof of vaccination and boosters if necessary for the countries they are visiting; negative COVID-19 test result; visas and passport readily available to present to the check-in staff upon arrival.
Get your choice of a FREE bonus offer when you book with CruisesOnly instead of booking directly with the cruise line. We give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all qualifying cruise line offers, plus all of the cruise line loyalty program benefits. Book online or call 800-278-4737.
Check here for the most up to date information on each Cruise Destination, including vaccination requirements, mask mandates, shore excursions, and insurance requirements.